Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My Computer

I finally got a cd writer. Now i will be able to rescue my computer from the excesses of virtual memory that I have dumped on it.
You know the saying, you will appreciate the full worth of something only when you are threatened with its loss? Well, interestingly and disturbingly, as I watched the computer person dissect my computer, it dawned on me just how much I love it. It was like watching someone operating on a loved one. I winced everytime he removed a part. And I forceably suppressed a sigh when he put in the writer and closed up the pc (? is that what its called? my knowledge of technical terms is not extensive by any stretch of imagination).

Which brings me to a related question. Is it wrong that we are now as attached to electronic media as we might be to a pet? That we would miss our computers as much as we would miss a departed friend? Or is it simply evidence of our sophistication? Is our emotional detachment from the human aspects of our life of no consequence?(by emotional detachment I am refering to extreme cases in which the subject lives and breathes virtual reality). Though a growing cause for concern, I think it is merely a side-effect of the life we all strive for. A life of sophistication, information, globalisation. It was bound to happen. One cannot be expected to give up an ideal to avoid a side-effect. Especially since it is an ideal that cannot be modified, a packaged deal; the addiction is a necessary part of it.

Another interesting thought...this could be (or perhaps already is) a potential source of income for psychologists. Not to mention philosophers (sardonic grin).

Essentially, as computers take over the planet, we will be sucked deeper and deeper into a world as wide as a plasma screen. Where the living and breathing will be pictures and downloadable media.

Dadadadaaaaaaaan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ur soo rite, my comp is my best buddy in the whole world, especially coz my bro goes to work early in the morning and comes back late in the night. I go crazy even if it doesn't function for a single day

aru murthy said...

so you finally got a blogger id