Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Misunderstood

As I was looking around for music yesterday, an interesting thought struck me. Most of the songs with so called meaningful lyrics were about depression, drugs and being misunderstood.

Firstly, I don't think dark lyrics necessarily qualify something as meaningful. I think lyrics based on the singer's experiences are meaningful..and they don't have to always be so morbid. It could be about love or the nice things in life.

Secondly, maybe its just me, but being misunderstood has become something of a fad lately. I guess it just satisfies rebellious feelings on some level. Makes us almost feel like we belong to a cult. The darkness, the gloom, just makes us feel....cool. While I certainly don't deny that there are artists whose lives are exactly as such songs portray, I am far from convinced that all of them are. This is just the kind of music that sells. That's why they make them. Likewise love songs.

Let me give you examples of songs that are based on life but not necessarily love or depression.
I'm never speaking up again by John Mayer is about an uncomfortable date. It's quite funny actually. Daughters by the same artist is about neglectful parents. Most of the Coldplay songs are quite astute. Photograph, which is immensely popular, is reminiscent of childhood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If u want songs with the best lyrics, i'd give first place to "imagine" by john lennon and second place to "wires" by athlete. But as i keep telling people, try out songs by this band called "theatre of tragedy", coz their lyrics are undecipherable.

aru murthy said...

you said that already. and i've heard imagine and it's not all tht great.

Bharath Ranganathan said...

Well, there is one band called Pink Floyd....i listen to a lot of music, (Coldplay, Nickelback, John Mayer (!!!!) included) and only Floyd's lyrics make a bit of sense.
For most musicians, it's the case of lyrics for a song (what i mean is they project the music for what it is) and there are lyrics to give the song a wholesome feel...not so with FLOYD...

Bharath Ranganathan said...

And btw I am really jealous of the way u write, very nice style...

(Bharath)